Tuesday, May 26, 2009

COMFORT VERSUS BUDGET

Which will you choose??

Today we went mattress shopping at Tampines One.
As there are Simmons and Serta side by side.
Thanks to Ping and Kem, as they informed me of the mattress promo.
They also told me Serta is highly recommended by their circle of friends
I think so too, since Serta is one of the Top 'S' in singapore.

So we too decided to purchase during a sale so as to "SAVE"!

Our budget for a King Size mattress and frame is $3500.
Our 1st stop is Simmons, but I decided not to go in , as their current promo
for a queen size matt is already $2500++ for their normal range.
Not to mentioned, King size for a spine care range will definitely be out of budget!

So I decided to go Serta 1st for a view
The sales Serene was really friendly and nice
and she was very patience.. told us to try all the beds and explain
what are the differences.
Indeed... the price are really more affordable after discount
not to mentioned with a whole lot of freebies throw in.

As I have a back problem and a personal preference
I prefer hard as wood mattress.
There are only two models that fit the bill.

Missouri and Sophiscation.
Missouri is closer to our budget , the price after discount is abt $2786
add extra for a frame of $699, it will still be $3485
but somehow sleeping on it doesnt feel as good as sophiscation, its still abit soft

Sophiscation on the hand was firm as wood..my spine feels at ease
while resting on it. But the price was definitely not pleasing to the eye & wallet.
Original price is $5999, after discount is $3668 and with the bed frame it will be $4367.
Still its $880 over our budget.

Woah, its such a tough decision..
comfort over budget or vice versa??!

The sales told us, since delivery is after reno
in that case we have many more months to consider.
Place a deposit to lock the price, and no penalty for upgrade or downgrade
Therefore just in case price hike for their best selling model sophiscation
she advise that we locked the price... and think about it.
Good advise, we just do that!!
Since we wont lugi, but hor pray hard the price drop then increase!
If price drop by then, we will of cos pay for the lower price.. sound good
isnt it?

oh Yeah, we have some freebies due to the promo they having
of cos, with some neg... I get to swap around some freebies
that i find more practical *wink wink*
the sales serene is really nice to agree to it!

2 latex pillows - $139 each
exchange sheep for 2 extra pillows, then used all 4 to exhange for 2 expensive pillows
2 mattress protector - price unknown (maybe $100 each)
1 side bench - $399
1 king size bedlinen - $200+

So how? Is it a good deal or should i downgrade the mattress to missouri?
The mattress supposed to last a good 10-15 years

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
hmm, after talking with my sister
somehow i got a feeling, is the mattress too expensive?

OMG, im contradicting myself
I used to think i dont need to splurge on a mattress
$800 for a queen size is good enough
anyway, my parents have been sleeping on cheap and brandless mattress
all their life and they are still in 1 whole piece.

Perfectly agree with that theory
until my back problem started and worsen.
Been sleeping on my mom's old mattress for the past 1 year plus
nothing fantastic and nothing to complain.
But I do realized a difference between a good and normal mattress
when my back condition aches up...
even the 'super hard as it seems' mattress doesnt work its magic on me
I couldnt even walk when i wake up in the morning.
Every morning is the same routine
as i tried to drag myself out of bed.. and struggle to the bathroom
even sitting on the toilet bowl.. as simple as that
is enough to make me tear out of pain.

So I swore to change to a better spine care mattress when i can
and Simmons is the ideal brand

Finally when the time comes when i can go mattress shopping
being the cheapo in me... I start to feel the pinch

But after all, isnt mattress and pillows crucial for health??

oh seriously in a dilemma right now.
should i just changed for a cheaper range or maybe a cheaper brand??!
Or i should just stick to it, and work round my budget
and save on some other thing like sofa etc
to cover back the $900 difference.

Someone out there......
PLEASE CONVINCED ME THE IMPORTANCE OF A GOOD MATTRESS!!

2 comments:

Marina said...

2 HANDS AND 2 LEGS UP FOR GOOD MATTRESS OF COZ...
Gal, if you dun have the back problem..maybe you can just get an average mattress..but you know your own condition, why save on this?you can save on others..
Like you say, a good mattress will last at least 10-15 yrs..each year depreciate how much..you think la.
Plus, you are not those slp early type loh..your precious slping hrs..please let it be a good one..U ask me...i sure say...go for it...your back is also shouting out loud "I WAN A GOOOOD MATTRESS......"

Im Char said...

aiyo.. not only my back, my mind and heart also screaming for the mattress.
Only my wallet buai song!

Yesterday still hiao.. go lie on the mattress 1 more time, and take picture of the bed frame.
I already decided to spice up the bed frame! :P