Saturday, April 25, 2009

BAD MORNING - PART 2

Read my past spawning journal here.

This post is a boring one. Im keeping it as a spawning journal.

Just skip if you are not into fishes.

I came home to MORE carcass.
In total i scooped out 46 dead fries, in addition to the 35 this morning
haiz....
But i do manage to save 1 little fellow... i almost thought he is dead!

in just 1 day, 81 fries die on me..
the most scary thing was.. all the daphnia that was added into the tank as food
end up dead as well.

Now i have a tank bottom full of dead daphnia and fries.

So damn suai, i really dunno what went wrong.
All I know, something is wrong with the water condition
the water was from a adult breeding tank which i though would very safe.

So i decided to do a PH test.
the test shows an alarming result
water in the tank was very acidic.. below 6
Is that why the daphnia and fries are dying on me?

Very likely as temperature and cleanliness should be favourable
only PH is not.

So i further did another 5 test on the old tank and mixture of water.
Old tank on the other hand is almost alkaline.. almost 7
I still have 2 fries in there surviving well with leftover of microfood

No choice, I need to bring down and balance the PH
so i further test another 8 times.. mixing water from the rest of the adult tank
into the old breeding tank until i obtain a PH of 6.6.

It such a co-incidence that today was Home Alone day.
Emma went back to Jb, and I was to handle all these on my own.

So I start to play scooping game again....
scooping the surviving fries 1 by 1 back into the old tank.

This time, survivor number was only 55.
it doesnt tally with the dead carcasses i found.
So i suspected that some could have been eaten as i just
caught 1 fries eating its smaller sibling.

when its all done, i added more daphnia into the old tank
using a touch to shine on them..
I could see the whole tank was full of microfood
and this time the fries was not as restless as the night before
I could see them chasing after the food.

Let just pray hard these 55 survives..
I didnt want to wake up to a tank a dead fries again.





No comments: