Sunday, April 19, 2009

FRENCH 'FRIES' IN THE MAKING -PART 4

Read my past spawning journal here.

Currently now my fries are coming of 2weeks of age.
Its not as easy keep them alive and rearing them to full terms
Since friday, I have started feeding them boon aka daphnia
oh they love it so much that the tank is pretty much empty the
following morning. Need to refill it on daily basis but the problem
is I'm running out of daphnia.
And the fish shop downstairs are not selling it.

Good news is.. they seems to have grown much bigger for the
past 3 days after started on boon diet.

Now we are discussing and looking into ways to rear this fries
water in the breeding tank is getting dirty and smelly
How to we change it?
The Pros have advise that it not advisable to touch the water
until 1 month later. But Im worried about bacteria growth with all the
waste in the tank.
Fries do die during water changes due to difference in water temperature or PH.
I guess we just have to experiment it our own way.
Betta fries are not easy to rear.. and survival rate is only about 10-20%
I have about 100+ fries now, ultimately i might only end up
with 10-30 surviving adults
Some owners have report 100% death rate or only 7 adults surviving.

Another 1 crazy thought i have.
If i rear the fries (3-5 fries) separately in individual container
will these increase the growth & survival rate
as there are more food and less competition,
hence they will grow much better with more food intake.

Perhaps I should do a experiment on this and monitor their growth.

Lol, me and Irene were discussing all these and reminds me of the days in school
when we have to do project. I don't think i was this enthusiastic in the past!

Now see now pictures.

This is how the breeding tank look like now
with a lot more waste, colour of the water is from the leaves


Fries like to form their own group like these
in this small group like this, its easy to find about 15 of them.
Most are prefer to swim on the surface
although there a few loners, like to roam
the bottom of the tank.
I have done a close-up shot.
See how their size differ, some are even smaller
then the one on the left.

I have use red arrows to indicate the head and tail
so its easy to see the whole length.

They have really merge into the water
having the same colour, its almost diff to spot them out
in the pictures.



I think in another 4 days or so
they should be developing their Dorsal Fin aka Tail

hmm, i wonder how they grow up to be.
By the way, im not sure anyone knows
rearing betta fries is just like having jackpot draw
as you will never know what you going to get
unless both parents are the same.. maybe
You wont know how they look like and what colour until
they fully develop.
They may look nothing like their parents too or even
developed colours which the parents dont have! LOL




4 comments:

DC said...

Don't put all your eggs in one basket! haha!

Eldy Voon said...

haha .. as Martin said : Char is an animal lover ..

I see ^^

CHAR said...

DC.. thats a nice one!
Haha, should i serve my fries separately?!

CHAR said...

Eldy... i have more to come...
stay tune.. see my farm grows... LOL